Friday, April 11, 2008

Building CIL on Leopard

Following the standard configure/make approach to build CIL on Mac OS X Leopard (10.5), one may encounter the following error:
Compiling obj/x86_DARWIN/feature_config.ml to bytecode
File "obj/x86_DARWIN/feature_config.ml", line 4, characters 1-2:
Unbound value n
make: *** [obj/x86_DARWIN/feature_config.cmo] Error 2


It is due to the echo command in the file Makefile.in (around line 230):
echo -n " (* EXTRAFEATURES: *)" >> $@
Because Leopard follows the UNIX specification more strictly, the syntax echo -n is no longer supported by /bin/sh.

To fix it, replace echo -n with printf, or use /bin/echo, or just omit the -n option.

See #1940018.

4 comments:

sajjad said...

Hi, I still get the following error:
-----
The extension of the output file must be .o or .so
make[1]: *** [obj/x86_DARWIN/libcil.a] Error 2
make: *** [setup] Error 2
-----
Could you please help?
Thanks...

Anonymous said...

I'm having the same problem. Did you find a workaround?

sajjad said...

Even though it doesn't build, but it makes the necessary files I need. I my case I needed "cil.cmxa". I am not sure whether it was already there....

sajjad said...

They just releases 1.3.7 yesterday and I can confirm it builds properly on Leopard....