Thursday, August 31, 2006

Distance

I'm still not sure whether moving out would be a good decision. Nevertheless, it made me realize more about the longest distance that you face your love every day but cannot say it out. OK, move on, buddy. Just get over it.

At last I met Jian, the director this afternoon. Before entering his office I felt a little nervous. He's nice and conversational so most of the time I was just listening. The goal of the data-driven system is gorgeous and attractive, as he described, a chance with cost and challenges, where Google's already a pacemaker. Benyu and Weizhu also encouraged me a lot. I really appreciate it. Well, it's fascinating that six-month coding is worth nothing but a report of two-hour debugging works effectively.

Then I hurried back to campus for a talk given by David Axmark, co-founder of MySQL. At first I even ran into a wrong room until the words such as "exon" and "gene" drove me out. There were not many audience, and very few questions were proposed as in classes of Tsinghua, which always made the speaker disappointed. David sighed that might be why there were few open source projects in China. Passion and curiosity may be the best drive powers, but neither could live easily. Besides, there would be a story about a Triton among the minnows.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are great...
Open source ? How can people live if he only does open source work, in China?

And this is from mac! mac is good. no, mac is great.

Anonymous said...

ah~so you dumped the live spaces and picked up blogspot...
I thought blogspot is banned in China...hmmm...
Thinking of moving my blog as well.
Maybe pick up a domain name first...(my name was registered by a stupid man...really stupid webpages)

boost said...

To bryan:
Open source might also be some kinda way for a company to survive, as Trolltech, MySQL, Sleepcat, etc. do, though not so easy.

To zy:
It's freed recently, but I'm not sure whether it would be frozen again. Anyhow, welcome to blogspot:-)